Thursday 12 March 2015

Another Sad Loss

Terry Pratchett 28th April 1948 - 12th March 2015

It was announced today that the world of fantasy fiction and humour has lost one of its giants, Terry Pratchett at the age of 66 after a prolonged battle with a rare form of Alzeimers.

Now two of my favourite British fantasy authors are gone, and hopefully enjoying each other's company, sat at a corner snug enjoying a drink together. That other authour was David Gemmell, whom I once met at a book signing, and when I asked him who his favourite author was he had replied with a smirk, "Terry Pratchett, but if you ever meet him don't tell him I said that."

Terry Pratchett's first ever book, ' The Colour of Magic ', was the beginning of my journey, at the tender age of 19, into his madcap Discworld series. I loved it from the first page and beyond. It is a crying shame that we have to lose those who bring so much happiness to our lives in whatever form, but their influence is enduring and their legacy so warmly appreciated.

Such a shame we can't exchange the lives of those vile beings in this world for those who have passed but gave so much pleasure and light whilst living.

The Disc will forever turn and the Great A'Tuin forever swim. You will never be forgotten.

2 comments:

Sara said...

Pratchett is my all time favorite author and it felt like I had lost a close friend when I heard of his passing. He will be greatly missed, but his legacy will live on through his timeless books!
-found you through the A-Z challenge :)

Mark K said...

Thank you for dropping by, Sara - and I know exactly what you mean. Always good to meet a fellow Pratchett fan. Well met :)