Sunday 27 April 2014

New Home on the Horizon

www.wallpapergang.com
Apologies for the lack of blog posts, but my scant access to the web is an ongoing issue.

Some good news (I hope): my wife and I have hopefully found our new home; we are just starting the legal side of things with solicitors and searches, etc, but so far looking good. So with luck I'll be back up and running per normal (is there ever such a thing?) by the end of May this year :0D

My lovely wife bought me a very amazing present for my 50th birthday, which was on the 13th April. Asides from a lovely weekend at a five star hotel, my wife gave me a parcel to open just after midnight leading into the 13th.

It was wrapped in many layers of paper and eventually revealed an odd spherical object. I laughed thinking it was a Terry's Chocolate Orange. But upon removing the final layer of wrapping I held a cooking apple within my hand.

Seeing my perplexed expression my wife said, 'Think outside the box.'

Then it struck me - she had bought me my dream machine, an Apple iMac computer.

Ever since my qualifying year at university where I did my graphic design degree I had always dreamed of owning a Mac dedicated to design work. And now I have one! Although, it is currently sitting in its box until the moment we get our new home and I get a work space of my own. Yes, it is my intention to get back into graphic design (including book cover design) and writing - both poetry, short fiction and bigger projects.

I am blessed, this I know. For this I am truly grateful, but there are times when we so easily lose sight of what is right before us, and this has been so very true of my life of  late. But now turning 50 I feel that something has clicked within me and I have a great warmth and anticipation of what lies ahead.

And what's even more special to me, is that for the first time in my living memory I told my mother I loved her.

Sometimes dreams do come true x

5 comments:

The Happy Whisk said...

Thanks for sharing this post. Happy 50th and wow, you have a great wife. Glad you guys treat each other so well. Wonderful to see.

Cheers and boogie boogie.

Mark K said...

Thank you :) And yes, she is great. Her sole aim is to get me back into designing and writing on a more serious level, and trying to do things on my gaming pc (yep, I'm one of those old school pc gamers, and I'm on my third home-built rig... hell, I don't drink or smoke, so I need some kind of a vice!) is nearly always interrupted by the temptation to click on one of my gaming tabs 'to see what's going on?'.

At least this way I will have that separation of function, plus my wife will most likely turn the Mac into a new piece of headgear for me if I don't utilise it for the purpose it was bought for - and I whole-heartedly agree. So looking forward to getting back into the swing of things once more.

Thanks for stopping by ;)

J Lenni Dorner said...

Fantastic post. Congrats on your apple and your Apple. (Ha!) Best of luck with the move.

Rhonda Parrish said...

Oooh! Congratulations on finding your new home. That's so exciting.

My husband and I just decided where we are going to move in two years (when our daughter graduates high school) and I'm super excited just about that, I don't remember what it feels like to be right in the thick of buying a new home, but I can imagine!

Also, congratulations on getting your dream machine as a gift. Sounds like your lady is a keeper :)

Deborah Walker said...

Sounds like things are going great. What a thoughtful present! I'll be looking foward to seeing some of your work. And fingers crossed that you're soon in your new place.