Tuesday 31 December 2013

New Year ~ New Start?

First and foremost, I would like to take this opportunity to wish everyone who visits my blog, be it for a one-off hit, or a semi-regular peep, a very Happy New Year for 2014 to come.

May you all have good health, happiness and peace of mind. I would normally wish folks wealth too, but I'm beginning to realise that money doesn't always make for happiness,  so I'll leave that little detail down to you :)
~

People always tend to view a new year as a time to start afresh, or even turn over a new leaf. This usually takes the form of a New Year's Resolution. But why bother? All it does is to place unnecessary pressure on yourself, and if we're honest, it's usually something we've tried before without success.

So forget the resolution - the only folks who tend to benefit are the private gyms and diet firms. If it's a health thing, then look to something that interests you and excites you, something that will get you active and reconnected with living your life the way you want to, not because some fad magazine tells us we must do A, B, C in order to be happy. Balls to them. They don't give a shit about you, just their sales figures.

Walk more, eat fresh, drink more water, and most of all... be kind to yourself

By that, I'm not saying go out and spend every last penny on that mega 60 inch LED screen tv and matching Lazy Boy chair. I mean, take time out for yourself. Learn to get to know yourself once again, remember what made you feel alive and love life. Forget the past, and don't waste time dreaming about tomorrow - live for the present. Live in the moment.

I have things I want to do, to aim for, but presently I'm not sure if I'll be able to fulfill them. So I'm adapting and trying to live in the moment and forget about tomorrow, as nothing is set in stone, so why worry about it.
Don't be reckless, don't be inconsiderate of others in finding yourself. Let go of the trivial things, embrace those who make you happy and grateful to be alive. Reject cruelty, ignorance and greed. Look to the world for honest answers through the beauty of its flora and fauna. You have but one life, it is a gift, try not to squander it uselessly. Pay more attention to your body, it's the best piece of equipment you can ever own. Look after it correctly and it will look after you.

But ultimately, be true to yourself, never live with regret and treat others as you wish to be treated yourself.

Goodbye 2013 - I'm glad to see you gone.


10 comments:

Jeremy [Retro] said...

thumbs up... i have been pondering the same types of things, this has not been a great year. i hope for a better day over a better year... one day at a time, we can grow from it. if we step too much for a year, we do set ourselves up for a bigger fall. by the day we can stand up faster...

i hope your tomorrow is better, then the next day... and the next!

jeremy

Mark K said...

Bravo... well said my friend :)

Fenway5 said...

Cheers Mark for the sensible and reflective post! All the best to you and yours in 2014

Mark K said...

Thank you, sir - the same to you :)

Elizabeth said...

Love it. Such simple truths. Hope everything goes well for you this year.

Mark K said...

Hey, Happy New Year to you, Elizabeth - welcome to the hearth :) Hope to see you here again. Thank you for joining us :)

Elise Fallson said...

I wish you a fanastic new year and many more after that, Mark. And I'm glad to see 2013 gone too. Ever up and onward I guess. (:

Mark K said...

I hope you had a great time of it. Now to turn a new page and start afresh. Hoping 2014 brings you greater success with your writing, and that happiness, health and peace of mind is yours :)

Deborah Walker said...

Some great thoughts there, Mark. I think I'll have to say that my theme for 2014 is going to be connect. I've been participating more in the SFF community this year, and I've been enjoying it.

Mark K said...

Communities... yes. I think I have to kick my own butt and put myself 'out there'. With recent events in the tail end of 2013, I've lost all control and gusto over anything remotely creative in the writing sphere. It seems to be dragging itself into 2014, as if hanging onto my leg for grim death... grrrr!